Thursday, December 30, 2004

Web....Services...Web2.0

Listened to a conversation between Tim O Rielly & Bezos...thanks to itconversations.com...(I simply love that site it has put me in touch with so many new & interesting thoughts & people...that's really what I love about PODCASTs, you get to hear people who you otherwise probably wouldn't meet....)..enough digressing let me come back to the point of this blog.

During the conversation, they split up the Web in to 3 eras first web0.0, which was basically the HTML pages, more the "Catalogue World"...then we moved on to the Dynamic content generation stage...this is basically the personalization phase....now moving forward we are moving into web 2.0, which would be the web services phase...services/content that is taken in by other computer...computer to computer...human or his action...would only be a trigger.

While reading this I understand that most of you must be thinking this is pretty obvious so what is the point I am trying to make...the point I am trying to make is that what are we doing to get ready for this world...what is my Father's World Companies...doing to get ready for this.....How is our educational system preparing for this?

YES, that is right everything will change...everything needs to change...you change or you left behind, was the dialogues of the past...you change or your toast is the point NOW.

Well, No its not in the near future it is not some time later...IT IS NOW NOW NOW....

Just to give you a few examples....

1. amazon.com has enabled web services & has a strong push towards it
2. ebay...same here
3. google.com - well they are right up there....
4. bloglines.com - Yes the RSS feed reader....
4. Another site that I came by during my reviews, I do think I have mentioned them in one of my earlier blogs is...grandcentral.com

These are allowing for some cool new services to be created...bezos..mentioned a few that were create on top of Amazon..will try & compile a list..there are two that I remember right off the top, the first is the A9 search engine by Amazon, it uses the web services offered by GOOGLE, another one…I forget the name, allows you to scan the bar code of a book in a garage sale & decide what is the highest price you could/should pay for it.

well if you needed to rethink you business models to incorporate the web...well would need to "REIMAGINE"...both your business & yourself for WEB2.0.

Being the GEEK i am my plan is to spend some time putting together some applications on top of all these services to get to know these services better & to understand how better to use them.

My idea at this time is to put together an "Agent", YES I did take that off the semantic web concept..., which would be responsible for all the activities....well. I would like to have a Rich Client interface, I one place information aggregator which would take care of most of my needs....well yes that was too generalized...let me get more specific....

1. It would pull up all the blogs that I have to read...show it to me in my interface & allow me to store/save some of the information I want specifically.

2.I buy a lot of books, but don't get any deals on them, one service would be responsible for checking for books.

3. Need to start bidding for things in eBay that is a world most of us in India, still haven't awakened to..even though bazee has been doing a great job, here...well its time …I tested this out......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home