Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Simple yet useful

I try and use MS outlook to keep track of my activities on a day to day basis and most tasks/activities for me start/are initiated from emails I receive from people/bosses/customers so on , I needed an easy way of creating tasks as and when I receive an email, not requiring me to go to the tasks section and create the task item every time I get a new mail. So I decided to find a way to automate this

First step I clearly identified the process

1. Receive new mail
2. Read new mail
3. Create Task
With defined due date
With typically the same subject of the email as the subject of the task
4. Save the task close email

Once I knew this is what I needed I tried setting this up using VBA,

Now every time I receive a mail, I get a pop up message saying You have got mail (Always wanted it after seeing the movie - will probably include sound soon) which then opens up the newly received message once that is done, once that is done a pop up message comes up asking if I would like to create a task for that activity, If I say "Y" then it asks me how many days do you think it will take, once I provide that information it opens up a task with the subject of the email set as the subject of the task and the due date set according to your entry.

SIMPLE BUT USEFUL.

It has been a long time since I programmed in VB, but getting my hands wet again is a nice feeling, I hope to be doing more of this in the near future.

If anybody wants this code just post it as a comment or send me a mail I will be more than happy to provide it to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home